It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aloha from up the hill!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:08 pm 
Kama

Hey guys!

Super new to this forum. And the island!

My wife and I moved here a little over a week ago to help out on a coffee farm in the Holualoa area for at least a few months. We're from North Carolina but moved from Chicago. Looking to eventually buy land at some point, not sure where though.

We've been allowed access to a small wood-fired oven on the property and have started up a microbakery business venture while we're here. The longer we can stay, the better! We've noticed an absence of real sourdough in Kona and want to be able to provide for as long as we can. If you'd like to find out more, we're at http://www.sundogbread.com.

Looking forward to become a part of the community as soon as possible! Mahalo!

Wes & Sarah

Post subject: Re: Aloha from up the hill!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:26 am 
Keiki

E Komo Mai....is what I would say if I were there yet... :lol: So I will say Aloha instead! I move to Ka'u District, Discovery Harbor, in May. As for land, I've read about Puna and I personally would avoid living in Puna unless I absolutely had no other choice. Hawai'i isn't perfect, it has it's problems and social ills like any other place and Puna either has the most vocal complainers, or the most problems. The invasive species that invaded Hawai'i, P. Martensis with the third stage parasites that cause rat lung disease, little fire ant, coqui frog, albizia trees that lose their branches easily and tear down electric lines, all of that is primarily in Puna. But wait, there's more.

Puna is also a place where, due to the traffic density and the precipitation that area receives annually and the lack of funding, the roads are fucked up, potholes, no pavement at all in some places like Hawaiian Acres. The problem is that the HOA is expected to maintain roads for a massive tract of land. It costs hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to lay down roads and maintain them properly. It's a job for the county, only the county could realistically invest that much money into basic infrastructure. So, right now the HPPHOA collects a 320 road toll from each resident, and some of their roads barely get touched because the place is huge and they don't have the funding for that much land. Apparently this has been an issue in Puna going back to 1965. I'm not done yet. Puna is ALSO the place with the highest concentration of drug addicts and homeless on the Big Island.

Now, if you visit puna or live in Puna, will you get slimed by slugs and get diseased and bitten by fire ants and stabbed by a homeless meth addict while an albizia tree branch lands on your head? I would bet money on no, most likely not. I've seen the pictures of HPP and the rest of Puna, it's real pretty. However, it is not any prettier than the rest of Hawai'i, and with all of it's problems relative to the rest of the island, why risk it? There are cheap places to live all over the Big Island that don't have those issues.

As for the other districts, there's the issues of lava flow, fee simple vs. leasehold, HOA or no HOA, what's your budget, are you sensitive to vog, what's your Prime Directive in Hawai'i, whats your stance on rain, does rooster noise bother you, (that's a question of an agricultural lot vs. a residential lot) catchment water vs. county water, most places have catchment, and it's a big pain in the butt to clean, and since it's your water source it's not an optional cleaning routine. The Big Island is the most beautiful place I've seen so far in my life, but to actually live here requires a good deal of study. For example, if you got a place in Hilo, did you know it rains about 10 months out of the year there? Or in Volcano, it's actually kind of cold and chilly there and not at all the normal warm Hawai'ian environment you'd expect? Ka'u district is gorgeous, where I'm going, and it's also way out in the middle of nowhere. I'm an hour and a half from any beach or Kona or Hilo.

If you are sensitive to vog, Hilo is great despite the rain, because it doesn't get much vog. All Hawai'ian islands get some vog though, even Maui and Oahu. If you don't care about vog and don't want rain, Kona is great, and that's where the vast majority of the beaches are on the Big Island, there's literally over 10 beaches on that side there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 am 
Site Admin

sundogbread wrote:
Hey guys!

Super new to this forum. And the island!

My wife and I moved here a little over a week ago to help out on a coffee farm in the Holualoa area for at least a few months. We're from North Carolina but moved from Chicago. Looking to eventually buy land at some point, not sure where though.

We've been allowed access to a small wood-fired oven on the property and have started up a microbakery business venture while we're here. The longer we can stay, the better! We've noticed an absence of real sourdough in Kona and want to be able to provide for as long as we can. If you'd like to find out more, we're at http://www.sundogbread.com.

Looking forward to become a part of the community as soon as possible! Mahalo!

Wes & Sarah

Welcome to our humble little forum. Not too many people left on here these days. At least you found us. Hopefully you will stay for a while.

The Big Island needs more than just good sourdough. The Big Island needs a good NY and/or Jewish style deli. Heck, I am currently on Oahu and we need a good deli over here. We have one in town which is a long drive from where I live. But it still is not quite up to the standards I have come to know a good deli can be. So if you have any aspirations to start up a restaurant/bakery I would certainly think about this. My mother always told me if you don't mind working hard and long early hours you can never go wrong being a baker and having your own bakery.

I am planning on moving back to the Big Island in a few years when I retire. Hopefully, you all will still be there when I move back.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:12 am 
Site Admin

HaoleMalihini wrote:
E Komo Mai....is what I would say if I were there yet... :lol: So I will say Aloha instead! I move to Ka'u District, Discovery Harbor, in May. As for land, I've read about Puna and I personally would avoid living in Puna unless I absolutely had no other choice. Hawai'i isn't perfect, it has it's problems and social ills like any other place and Puna either has the most vocal complainers, or the most problems. The invasive species that invaded Hawai'i, P. Martensis with the third stage parasites that cause rat lung disease, little fire ant, coqui frog, albizia trees that lose their branches easily and tear down electric lines, all of that is primarily in Puna. But wait, there's more.

Puna is also a place where, due to the traffic density and the precipitation that area receives annually and the lack of funding, the roads are fucked up, potholes, no pavement at all in some places like Hawaiian Acres. The problem is that the HOA is expected to maintain roads for a massive tract of land. It costs hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to lay down roads and maintain them properly. It's a job for the county, only the county could realistically invest that much money into basic infrastructure. So, right now the HPPHOA collects a 320 road toll from each resident, and some of their roads barely get touched because the place is huge and they don't have the funding for that much land. Apparently this has been an issue in Puna going back to 1965. I'm not done yet. Puna is ALSO the place with the highest concentration of drug addicts and homeless on the Big Island.

Now, if you visit puna or live in Puna, will you get slimed by slugs and get diseased and bitten by fire ants and stabbed by a homeless meth addict while an albizia tree branch lands on your head? I would bet money on no, most likely not. I've seen the pictures of HPP and the rest of Puna, it's real pretty. However, it is not any prettier than the rest of Hawai'i, and with all of it's problems relative to the rest of the island, why risk it? There are cheap places to live all over the Big Island that don't have those issues.

As for the other districts, there's the issues of lava flow, fee simple vs. leasehold, HOA or no HOA, what's your budget, are you sensitive to vog, what's your Prime Directive in Hawai'i, whats your stance on rain, does rooster noise bother you, (that's a question of an agricultural lot vs. a residential lot) catchment water vs. county water, most places have catchment, and it's a big pain in the butt to clean, and since it's your water source it's not an optional cleaning routine. The Big Island is the most beautiful place I've seen so far in my life, but to actually live here requires a good deal of study. For example, if you got a place in Hilo, did you know it rains about 10 months out of the year there? Or in Volcano, it's actually kind of cold and chilly there and not at all the normal warm Hawai'ian environment you'd expect? Ka'u district is gorgeous, where I'm going, and it's also way out in the middle of nowhere. I'm an hour and a half from any beach or Kona or Hilo.

If you are sensitive to vog, Hilo is great despite the rain, because it doesn't get much vog. All Hawai'ian islands get some vog though, even Maui and Oahu. If you don't care about vog and don't want rain, Kona is great, and that's where the vast majority of the beaches are on the Big Island, there's literally over 10 beaches on that side there.

I lived in Puna for a couple of years. Some areas have their problems. Some areas not so much. I loved my time there. And I miss the Big Island terribly. When I move back I will be moving to Ocean View in the Ka'u district. Hopefully, I'll be ready for retirement and will be able to enjoy myself once I move.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 am 
Keiki

Sorry Dave, I don't mean to be overly negative I'm just repeating what I've read over at punaweb.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

HaoleMalihini wrote:
Sorry Dave, I don't mean to be overly negative I'm just repeating what I've read over at punaweb.

Don't be sorry. I didn't say anything about you being wrong, I just said some areas are not as bad as others. Your description was pretty accurate in most respects. Just remember some of the people over there at Punaweb are a little over the top most of the time. Most of them don't like me because I have a different take on things than they do. Some of them are alcoholics and addicts of some form or another. Some are ex-addicts. I have spoken to many of them. Some of them are the nicest sweetest people you'll ever meet. Some of them are hard working blue collar types just trying to stay afloat like most of us here. Just remember it's the over the top types that seem to scream the loudest over there. So take everything you hear with a grain of salt and make up your own mind as to what the truth is.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 pm 
Malihini

We used to live in Kona Paradise in South Kona, but moved to Nanawale Estates in Puna a few months ago. You can say whatever you want about Puna, but our life was like hell in Kona Paradise, and it's like living in heaven in Nanawale Estates. Maybe it's not for everyone, but we are happy here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:17 am 
Keiki

Really? what didn't you like about South Kona?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 pm 
Malihini

HaoleMalihini wrote:
Really? what didn't you like about South Kona?
We moved there without much research, we shouldn't have done that. While we didn't mind about being on catchment water, we had to buy water several times because there wasn't enough rain. We didn't like being so far from stores and conveniences. The road in Kona Paradise was very hard on our cars. Last but not least, we had an asshole family living next door. We are glad to be out of there, and we love Puna!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:02 pm 
Keiki

There are some rumors about Kau being the biggest witness protection program settlement in the USA. :bounce: Most of both HOVE and HOVR look like the moon for me, I wouldn't live there. There are some nicer homes in Discovery Harbour, but that whole area is very isolated IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:36 pm 
Malihini

Waikoloa. Much cheaper than Kona. Nice community, all conveniences, no crime. It would be the perfect neighborhood, but my ex wife sti lives here too. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:31 pm 
Malihini

Sundogbread, I live in Discovery Harbour, so hopefully I can help answer any questions you have. In the meantime, I'll look at your bread. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]