It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: La Bourgogne (Kailua-Kona)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:56 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I once had a really bad experience at this restaurant and have not been back for like eight years. My wife wanted to have her birthday celebrated there, so it was time to forget the bad experience. I called to make a reservation well in advance. It was surprising that nobody picked up the phone but the message said they will call back. (They did, one day later, and I told them it was for my wife's birthday.) On the day of the birthday I got a call from the restaurant two hours before we were supposed to be there that they will not be open! It was surprising and when I pressed for details the lady on the phone said there was damage to the building.

Since one of my friends has an office in the same building, I immediately called to make sure everything was all right. Apparently, everything was OK, there was no damage to the building at all. My friend said it's very common that this restaurant does not open if they don't have enough reservations. (It's a small restaurant and reservation is required.) I guess the bad experience revisited.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:19 am 
Kona Kastoff

How can one say "No" to a wife! My sweetie never gave up on La Bourgogne and insisted we go there on our anniversary. Well, I sure was in for a big surprise! After all the bad experiences I didn't expect anything good, but the whole dining experience was wonderful. Though I would have preferred my Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup more creamy (or perhaps made with buttermilk,) but it still tasted good, and the Lobster Bisque was out of this world! All the other dishes we ordered were exceptionally good and the service was very very attentive. To top it off, they offered Ch. Coufran by the glass, and all their wine prices are very reasonable! (The Ch. Coufran was just the perfect temperature, all the other restaurants in Kona should learn from La Bourgogne in regards to wine storing and serving.) They have hard to find dishes like mussels, rabbit, veal and venison on the menu and their dessert selection is very unique and extensive. (All are paired with recommended dessert wine and/or after dinner drinks, and my Orange Muscat was a perfect choice with the Grand Marnier Souffle.) Count on spending around $90/person for a full meal and drinks, but it certainly was worth it this time! I am sure I will not wait years to go back there again! Well done La Bourgogne.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:54 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I called way ahead in advance to make a reservation since it was for our anniversary. I left a message and they called me back a few hours later to confirm it, but when we showed up there was no table reserved for us. There were three tables left to chose from, one by the entrance, one by the kitchen and one by the toilets. Great way to start an anniversary dinner. We decided on the table by the entrance since it's a fairly small restaurant and we figured there wouldn't be much traffic, but I felt uncomfortable in my seat because of the way the table was situated all evening. (I seriously doubt that all the booths were reserved prior to my reservation.)
We ordered one soup (Lobster Bisque) which was a little thin and brothy, certainly not as good as the last time, and one appetizer (Escargot) that was good. My wife loves to order Rack of Lamb at restaurants to compare it with mine that she says is out of this world, and I ordered Rabbit Roast. (My lamb is still unbeaten according to her, but the Rabbit was good.) I ordered a glass of Margaux, which was way too warm and I didn't enjoy it at all. We split a Chocolate Souffle (it was good) and I ordered a glass of Framboise with it, which, interestingly, was served at the right temperature. The service was very good and attentive.
Our bill came to $160 and I think this restaurant gives a good value for the money, I just wish those little inconsistencies wouldn't be there.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Post subject: Re: La Bourgogne (Kailua-Kona)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am 
Kona Kastoff

This is the most expensive restaurant in town, so it's not for the budget-minded. We eat there once or twice a year and we usually are satisfied with both the food and the service. This restaurant probably has the best wine list on the whole island, but, unfortunately, only a very limited selection is available by the glass. Their dessert menu paired with the after-dinner drinks is one of the best I have ever seen. Again, their prices are on level with the resort restaurant prices and there are other choices in that price range, but none for French food!

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Post subject: Re: La Bourgogne (Kailua-Kona)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I don't review restaurant as often as I used to because I am getting older and lazier, and also since I don't eat out as much as I used to. This restaurant is still my wife's favorite, and we eat there once or twice a year. We ate the last night and were completely satisfied. As I learned, 2018 will be their 25th anniversary, and they made a deal with a French champagne house to have their special champagne bottled for the whole year. The champagne is not available anywhere else but at the restaurant and West Side Wines. Grab a bottle, it's worth it!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]