It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trip Report (a.k.a. Bathroom Reading)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 am 
Malihini

Another wonderful vacation has come and gone. And as usual, it wasn't long enough. Here are some highlights:
Arrived Fri. June 9
I went to the King Kamehemeha Day celebration in North Kohala. I went by myself because husband and son didn't want to wake up early. Got there at almost 9:00, just in time to see them draping the leis on the statue. There was a hula performance and then had to wait FOREVER for the parade to start. Not much to do in that area while I waited. The parade was over and I headed back around 12:30. I didn't stay for the rest of the festivities at the park since I had the guys back at the condo waiting for me. Luckily I parked on the side of the road before the park entrance so I could drive off while the parade was heading into the park. On my way back, I passed a long line of cars stuck waiting to drive though, guess they didn't get the road closure memo. It was nice to see the event, but no need to do it again.
We hiked down into Waipio Valley. Hubby and I hadn't done it since 2003. Still a beautiful area. We were surprised to see so many locals down at the beach with their vehicles. Also surprising was to see how many rental cars were heading down there. You can easily tell the locals from the tourists - they had their cameras out while trying to navigate down the road. At some time they had put 4 port-o-potties down by the beach and it may have been quite some time ago because it didn't look like they had been serviced in a few years (you probably just want to find a tree instead). The hike back up was grueling, but we made it. And surprisingly, we weren't too sore the next few days after - we recovered quickly. Another thing we don't need to do again.
Next up was Flumin Kohala Ditch. It was fun and informative, but I don't think it was really worth the price. We paid $360 for the 3 of us (adult costing more than child). I was told I couldn't bring my camera because it wasn't waterproof. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get any pictures. I could've easily taken it in a plastic bag and taken it out when I needed it. We didn't get all that wet. Most of the tour was in long tunnels - I thought for sure it would be more outside. If you get a good guide, it can be entertaining.
We drove down to Kona Coast State Park. We usually like to sit in front of the Magoon house, but this time decided to head over to Makalawena Beach. We heard it was worth the hike because there aren't a lot of people there. Unfortunately we were not prepared for the hike. Wearing flip-flops, carrying 3 beach chairs, backpacks, and a heavy cooler. It was quite a long, hot, exhausting hike. When we finally made it, the rumors were true - not a lot of people. It was a beautiful beach, unfortunately though, not a lot of shade. If we ever go back, we will be better prepared next time. But then again, I'm happy to just sit in front of the Magoon house, under the tree. Speaking of the Magoon house, I was happy to see that it was put on the list of historic places and will be refurbished. I always liked exploring those buildings before they started falling apart. Another first for us was seeing a Hawaiian Monk Seal resting on the beach in front of the house. We weren't sure what it was at first, but on our way back, it was still there and signs were posted.
Our last new thing we got to experience was Aloha Kona Urgent Care. Son was complaining of an ear ache for days, but it didn't hurt enough to see a doctor. It got really bad our last evening in Waikoloa, but nothing was open. The next morning, after we checked out of Paniolo Greens, we decided to stop by the Urgent Care since we had time to kill before checking in at Kona Reef. Nice place, the staff was friendly, and we only spent about an hour from signing in to leaving. It ended up being swimmers ear and we got ear drops.
The rest of our vacation was spent being lazy in Kona. Walking around, shopping, getting tattoos. . . All sorts of fun. Ate at our favorite spots: Kona Brewing Company, Bongo Ben's, and Huggo's on the Rocks. Was hoping to make it to Quinn's, but ran out of time. Oh well, we'll just have to do it when we return in 2 years.
Another memorable Big Island Vacation!

Post subject: Re: Trip Report (a.k.a. Bathroom Reading)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:28 am 
Site Admin

I'm so happy you had another great vacation!!!

Damn I miss that island... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:48 pm 
Da Kine

I don't miss the medical care.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:46 am 
Kona Kastoff

New Daddy wrote:
I don't miss the medical care.
Damn! I didn't know they even have that here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:28 pm 
Da Kine

I spent the evening in Kona general ER with my son one evening. The guy next to had had a stroke and was waiting like 5 hours for a chopper to Oahu. For those that don't know, stroke recovery is dictated by the first two hours of care after a stroke.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]