It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hey I just moved here from San Diego! Real talk here.
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 pm 
Keiki

Hawai'i is an extremely, incredibly diverse environment on every level, is the first and most important piece of info I can impart. It is -so- diverse, that areas that are within the same subdivision receive very different amounts of rain depending on what elevation the house is at, or, another example, Kahaluu beach and Magic Sands. They are only about a half mile from each other, and Magic Sands right now is full of the softest, silkiest sand I have ever felt, and the water there, the pictures they take of Magic Sands aren't doctored. It really is that strange kool-aid blue color.

Meanwhile, at kahaluu beach I got papercuts all over my fingers, a seaurchin spine underneath my fingernail, a number of bleeding cuts all over both my feet and a deeper cut on my toe. You really, really have to research each individual area, no matter how close it is to another area. :lol: At Kahaluu, if I had just gotten some gloves and beach shoes I would have been perfectly fine, or a board and floated over the rocks. Kahaluu is also one of the, if not the best snorkeling spot on the island, there's so many beautiful fish there. If you're reading this, you should totally visit, just make sure you come prepared.

If you're planning on moving here, I have to stress that you honestly should rent first, I moved here without renting and have some anxiety about doing so already. See, Hawai'i is not just like moving to another state, you're moving to a completely different environment and it is a simple fact of life that biologically, your body may not be suited for Hawai'i.

There's the vog, and there are simple things that happen because it's an island and the water is warm, like swimmer's itch. Some people have an allergic reaction to certain oceanic water, that kind of thing. The vog is really quite awful but you can deal with it so long as you're not just hiking alongside the road. If you're in a car you can roll up the windows and circulate the air inside your car and drive a little faster if you can, you will drive through the vog. Now, I live in Ka'u district, and the wind here so far has been REALLY INTENSE, all the time, all day and all night. I honestly have not smelled any vog here in Discovery Harbor at any time of the day or night. However, if I lived in Kona or some other place that gets vog, and it settled on my house...I personally would not be able to tolerate it. I would have to get into the car and drive away until it was gone, it makes me feel sick, gives me a headache.

one thing that I see that constantly comes up is the racism thing, which honestly perplexes me, I wonder if it's kind of a reverse racism scenario where white folks are imagining they will be hated on because they aren't a majority there. The reason I think this is the local Hawai'ian people are the most friendly people I have ever met in my entire life. I've never been hugged by my cable lady before and told "welcome to our land!" and I'm white as milk. I'm trying to get a tan but its hard when the sunlight reflects off of me as much as it does. :lol:

Another thing you really have to be careful of, is the roads. There are hillside cliffs going around blind corners that do not have guard rails. There aren't a great deal of those kinds of situations, but they do exist, and besides that, you will have to constantly deal with blind turns due to hills or massive walls of vegetation. In the subdivisions, there are one lane roads with about 20 different driveways that pull out into these one land roads. They are mostly blind, that is, the driver pulling out can't see you coming, and you can't see them until you're right on top of their driveway.

Outside of the roads, doing your homework on the specific, exact location you're going to, and possible biological intolerance, the place really is paradise. California, southern cali, tries really, really hard to be what Hawai'i is, but even the jewel of San Diego, the multi-million dollar La Jolla. I lived in La Jolla for years. Still doesn't compare to Hawai'i. The weather is warm even when it's raining, the food is amazing and local, if you can afford it and you've stayed here for several months and you have no issues, then you will most likely fall in love with the island as I have!

Post subject: Re: Hey I just moved here from San Diego! Real talk here.
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Very nicely put!!! I am glad you seem to be finding the island as your new home. You are right it is massively different living on an island than it is on the mainland.

While I have found most local Hawaiians to be very friendly and welcoming, my wife and I have experienced some of the prejudice that exists on the island. I won't write about again as I have detailed it numerous times on the forum. Suffice to say it does exist. However, in the grand scheme of things have worked out okay for us even with the prejudice. And BTW, I still get some of the prejudice here on Oahu. It is widespread but much more subtle than it is on the Big Island. I have learned to accept it as part of the culture here. And I try to be the bigger person.

With all this said, I do intend to move back to the Big Island from Oahu when I permanently retire.

Thanks again HM for stating how you are feeling and doing since moving to the island. I hope you truly find your home here.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:53 am 
Keiki

that's so terrible and shitty that people were racist towards you!! :x I'm really sorry that happened Kona Dave. :( I'm also sorry for my ignorance, I guess hawai'i racism against whites does exist, I apologize for basically saying it doesn't. I just haven't experienced it yet! Anyways thank you for your encouraging comments, I appreciate them!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

HaoleMalihini wrote:
that's so terrible and shitty that people were racist towards you!! :x I'm really sorry that happened Kona Dave. :( I'm also sorry for my ignorance, I guess hawai'i racism against whites does exist, I apologize for basically saying it doesn't. I just haven't experienced it yet! Anyways thank you for your encouraging comments, I appreciate them!

Hey HM,

You are not ignorant of this, it is just not happened to you. I think that is a good thing. :) :) :)

The worst part for me was not that it happened to me but that it happened to my wife. And it was really uncalled for and inappropriate. It was tough seeing this sort of thing unfold towards her. It made me sad. I work in the construction industry and while everyone knows if they say or do something they will get in trouble or fired, there is still that undertone of racial tension around certain people. And sometimes you walk up and you hear some talking and/or joking about certain races or types of people. Also, outside of work there have been a few instances. When you get to know and be friends with some locals born and living on the island you might get a better sense of what I am talking about. It may not be your friends who are prejudiced but it may be their friends or family that you might hear things from.

And there are no apologies necessary. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here.

I hope you never experience what I have and what my wife has. And you'll get used to the locals thinking you are a tourist. While it can be really annoying at times I am very forgiving.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:25 pm 
Kona Kastoff

HaoleMalihini wrote:
It's called reverse racism, and yes, it very much is happening in Hawaii. :( :( :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]